In light of this weekend’s news from Chipotle that stated debit card numbers may have been compromised in their stores across the country, it’s worth stating it again, STOP USING DEBIT CARDS.
There are lots of articles written on the subject, so here is the elevator pitch:
- Credit cards offer better protection against unauthorized purchases and shorter resolution times if there is an issue.
- In the case of debit cards, you must report the loss within 2 days or risk being liable for up to $500 in unauthorized charges.
- Bank fees. Overdraft charges will rack up fast if your account goes negative. Getting that money back could take a while and you may not have that kind of time.
- Credit Cards earn you points! Come on! If you’re going to spend the money anyway, you might was well make money doing it. The Amazon Visa card pays you 5% back on all Amazon purchase. Of course, you need to pay off your balance every month to avoid finance charges.
- If allowed by the debt owner, pay all of your bills with your credit card. It’s safer and imagine the points that add up! How about that mortgage? Just pay your credit card back online after you’ve pay your mortgage.
Take a look at the options and find what’s right for you. As for myself, I use my credit card points to fly to Thailand with my wife to visit family 🙂